Friday, August 10, 2007

Momentum Fighters

Momentum Fighters
04/06/2007

A friend of mine recently sent me a book entitled “A Fighter’s Heart” by Sam Sheridan. It is the story of a Harvard graduate who travels around the globe in an effort to train with some of the best martial artists and fight camps in the world. Although I am only half way through, I very much recommend it as a good read. He offers a lot of insight into not just the fight world, but into the human psyche as well.

At one point in the book, he references “momentum fighters”. These are competitors who dominate when plan A is working but are so broken when it fails they can’t get to a plan B. You can see it in their eyes, posture, everything – they just can’t get over the emotional disappointment and figuratively (if not literally) throw in the towel.

As I read this, I couldn’t help but think how this applies to almost everything – school, work, working out, parenting etc. It’s so easy to be excited about a game-plan and the expected outcome. Conversely, it’s a enormous bummer to have it fall apart and be left wondering what to do next.

To connect the concept to training, watch people’s behavior in the gym. You will see some folks almost every day for a month and then they disappear. When asked what happened, they respond with something like “Well, I missed a couple days and just couldn’t get back into it.” Something happened that stopped their momentum and they weren’t able to get that motivational inertia moving again.

No judgement here – obstacles are tough for everyone. I don’t care who you are, dealing with a setback like an injury, sickness etc can really throw you off track and make you feel like all the progress you made is now coming to a halt or even going in reverse. In my experience, this is when you have to act quickly to prevent any bad momentum from building. Assess the situation, come up with an alternative game plan and quickly execute – even if you are not yet fully confident this is the best way to go. The reason being is that it at least puts you in a position to halt the negative and start moving things toward the positive – you can always correct as you go.

I think another component is being aware of your emotioins and avoid feeling too high or, of course, to low. If you get too excited about an action and it's resulting outcome, you are setting yourself up for a long fall if/when it doesn't work. At that point, feeling motivated about changing game plans is going to be tough. Thus, although everyone is different, for me it works best to keep the emotions centered/level. This makes me feel as though I am emotionally mobile and ready to make smooth transitions to another game plan if needed. But like I have mentioned in earlier BLOG's - easier said than done. Like everything, this is a work in progress for me.

2 comments:

Franklin said...

Hi Ken,

Great blog entry ... I will definitely put the book on my reading list. I can certainly see this pattern in my life in many ways. Having a name for it makes it more concrete and easier to at least recognize when its happening.

For example I'm just getting back to KB training after several months off due to elbow tendonitis. During that time, my diet went to hell and put back half of the weight I had lost through diet and training. I'm now very much aware of the endorphin effect that KB training induces ... this time I plan my work outs ahead of time and stop. Previously I would continue until I was totally spent. This led to over-training and injury.

Ken Blackburn said...

Thanks Franklin!

I know what you mean - you are having a great workout, seem to have endless energy and want to keep pushing for bigger and bigger numbers. It takes a lot of discipline to stop at that point. But, like you said, the alternative is overtraining and/or injury.