Friday, August 10, 2007

Transitions

Transitions
02/13/07


Amongst top Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competitors, a statement I often hear is that success in grappling/fighting lies in the “transitions” - The ability to smoothly, effectively and repeatedly transition from one position to another until a submission is attained. It’s not just changing positions but how you change positions that really matters.


Being that I have always been fascinated not just by mixed martial arts, but on how to train for mixed martial arts, I have noticed that the ability to make successful transitions is just as important in that arena.

As an example, MMA athletes need to be able to be able to accelerate explosively (ex. striking) and be able to exert a high degree of slow strength for extended periods of time (ex. clinching). I like to equate this to the need to be both a Ferrari and a tow truck. But, MMA athletes also need to have the ability to successfully transition back and forth between these two modalities without fatiguing – explode in with strikes, clinch/battle for position, shoot for the takedown and hold/maintain the position once on the ground etc.

From my experience, that is where the difficulty lies. I have worked with fighters who can hit the mitts all day, wrestle/roll on the mats all day but fatigue once they have to repeatedly make that transition from ground to standing or vice versa. Solution in a training drill – hits the mitts non-stop for a min, crank out 10 burpees/sprawls, roll for 2 min, 10 k-bell snatches per arm and repeat. This resembles an actual MMA bout and I am big believer in the adage – the way you train is the way you react. If you are making consistent transitions in a fight, then your body has to be conditioned in training to make those same transitions.

Staying on the topic of transitions, I believe this also extends into general life. How well do we transition from being a parent to being a competitor to being a spouse to our job/career? Do we do that well or do we tend to get stuck in one mode and never really get out of it? Do we change our roles but are not entirely smooth about it?

I believe this is where transition meets balance. For me, I don’t think it’s possible to be truly balanced in all the different areas of my life if I am not able to smoothly make the transition between the different roles that are important to me and those I care about. I am not always successful in doing this but am determined to making it an on-going goal of mine.

No comments: